Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Setting Spray: What is it & Why do I need it?


Hi darlings!

So today I thought I would share some insight on some makeup setting sprays that I love. First off, I believe setting spray to be "hairspray for your face".
I got married in late June, on the hottest day of the summer (in Michigan). I would have melted all of my makeup off before the ceremony if it weren't for setting spray.

Today I'm going to compare 4 different sprays for you, so you don't have to feel the need to splurge on one.

From left to right:

Urban Decay De-Slick Oil Control Makeup Setting Spray (Available here!) - I have had this so long that they changed the bottle design. This spray is for oily skin and definitely does what it says. This is the spray that my makeup artist on my wedding day used, not only on me but on my bridesmaids as well. I'm not kidding when I say my makeup stayed on from 11:00 am on Saturday to 3:00 am on Sunday. My eyeshadow did not crease, my mascara did not run, my eyeliner did not melt, my foundation did not fade. This is amazing stuff. The best part about Urban Decay is that they make their sprays in travel sizes, so you can try all of the different finishes out.

NYX Cosmetics Matte Finish & Dewy Finish Long Lasting Setting Spray (Available here!) - This is a much less expensive alternative to the Urban Decay sprays. I have both finishes simply because my mood changes with my sprays. Some days I want a more dewy finish, some days I need my makeup matte. These sprays are very nice beginner setting sprays. However, they really need to upgrade the nozzle on these. They spray shoots at you like a torpedo, so it's not that great at covering your entire face, but it really does work. I'm glad that a company like NYX made setting sprays because they are hard to come by.

MAC Cosmetics Fix+ (Available here!) - This is first and foremost a vitamin skin refreshing spray. However, it does wonders for setting makeup. It also helps adhere loose pigments or glitter to the eyelid. Dip your brush into pigment/glitter, spray bristles with Fix+, and apply to lids. It also gives shimmery shadows a more metallic finish, which is SO cool. You may also spray this on the face before and after makeup, or on bare skin to refresh and replenish the skin. MAC also offers Fix+ in travel size, which is awesome because it is fairly pricey.

Now obviously there are other brands of setting sprays out there, like Model in a Bottle, Ben Nye Final Seal, and even ELF Cosmetics has a spray out. No matter what the brand, I feel that everyone needs a setting spray in their collection. Trust me, it will change your makeup game forever. Going to a summer wedding? Doing your own wedding makeup? You need it. It will make a difference between having your makeup fade within a few hours and having it last all day long.

As always, you want to spray it on your face about 6 inches away. Spray before foundation and allow it to dry before applying said foundation. Spray it after your entire look is complete, focusing on your eyelids to prevent creasing (especially if you have oily eyelids like yours truly). Do not overdo it. You only need maybe 3 or 4 sprays to do the job. If you overset your makeup, it will come off. Just trust the product and it will work it's magic.


Have a beauty question or concern? Let me know in the comments! :)



xoxo, Ang

No comments:

Post a Comment